Eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring or difficult. There are plenty of simple healthy food swaps you can do to make meals and snacks better for you. When I’m making a new recipe, one of my favorite things to do is look for some simple healthy food swaps I can do to make the recipe healthier.
Maybe you are just starting out on your healthy eating journey, or maybe you’re just looking for some ways to make your meals more interesting. No matter where you are in your journey, here are some of my favorite healthy food swap ideas you can incorporate into your meals. Think of this as my version of Eat This, Not That!
Healthy Food Swap Ideas
My favorite swaps are super simple, but easy and practical:
- Riced cauliflower in place of rice (I eat it almost every single day!)
- Miracle Noodles or zucchini noodles in place of regular pasta (if you’re not ready to completely give up pasta, try doing half regular noodles and half alternative noodles)
- Unsweetened applesauce, stevia, or monk fruit in place of sugar
- Use the meat layer of a pizza or lasagna in place of pasta/crust
- Blend your favorite protein powder with a little xantham gum and almond milk in place of ice cream.
- Wrap you sandwiches, burgers, etc with large leaf lettuce instead of bread.
- Nutritional yeast for cheese.
- Portobello mushrooms for burger.
- Baked kale for potato chips.
- Spiralized zucchini for noodles.
- Jicama for white rice.
- Garbanzo bean flour for white flour.
- One tablespoon flax mixed with three tablespoons water for one egg.
If you are trying to change your eating habits or looking for ways to make better choices, doing simple swaps like this go a long way into improving your diet, feeling, and looking better. This is also a great way to keep enjoying some of your favorite recipes by adding a healthier twist.
Now, share with me your favorite healthy food swap ideas by commenting below!