I’m sure you’ve heard the word “superfood” a lot recently. It’s become very trendy, especially the most well-known one, kale. There are so many great superfoods to add to your diet that not only provide fantastic health benefits but also tasty additions to your meals. Here are just a few superfoods to try:
20 Superfoods To Add To Your Diet
- Beans: This is a great staple to have in your kitchen. Beans are affordable, easy to cook, and versatile. They are also a great source of protein carbs, fiber, and antioxidants.
- Blueberries: This powerhouse berry is full of antioxidants, fiber, and important fibers. Add to a smoothie or just eat a handful for a snack.
- Broccoli: This veggie is packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. It also contains bioactive compounds that are believed to help reduce inflammation in the body.
- Oats: Oats are a great breakfast choice because of their high fiber content. They are also affordable and easy to make.
- Oranges: Obviously oranges are known for their high Vitamin C count. They are also a good source of B vitamins, calcium, and antioxidants. If you like drinking orange juice, make your own or get one that is not full of sugar.
- Pumpkin: This superfood gets its color from beta carotene, which our body converts to Vitamin A. Beta carotene is good for eye health and boosting immune systems. Pumpkin is also a good source of fiber and protein. Pumpkin seeds also contain numerous health benefits, as they are filled with protein, magnesium, potassium and zinc.
- Salmon: Salmon is considered a superfood because of its high amount of omega-3 fatty acids, which are believed to help prevent heart disease among other things. Salmon is also a good source of protein and Vitamin D. Because salmon contains low levels of mercury, be sure to discuss with your doctor if it’s safe for you to eat.
- Spinach: This leafy green is packed full of vitamins and minerals. It also is low in calories and high in protein. Enjoy raw or cooked.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are considered a superfood because they are very high in lycopene. This mineral has been proven to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer. It’s also great for eyesight health.
- Walnuts: These superfood nuts are a great source of protein and fiber. It is a great snack to help you feel fuller for longer. They also contain Omega-3 fatty acids and amino acids, so they’re very heart healthy.
- Avocado: Another trendy superfood is avocados. They contain many vitamins and nutrients, most notably monounsaturated fat, or the healthy kind of fat. Avocados also include Vitamins E and B6 for even more health benefits. So enjoy that avocado toast.
- Sweet potato: Sweet potatoes are a good substitute for regular potatoes because they are high in antioxidants and other key nutrients, like Potassium, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin E.
- Almonds: Another superfood nut is almonds. In fact, this nutritionally packed nut may be one of the top superfoods on the list. Almonds are a great thing to snack on because they are high in protein and fiber. They are also a good source of potassium, calcium, Vitamin E, magnesium, phosphorus, and iron.
- Kale: Kale is perhaps the most famous superfood on the list. It is packed with antioxidants like Vitamin C and beta-carotene. This leafy green is believed to improve cardiovascular disease, asthma, and promote urinary health.
- Flax-seed: Flax-seed is a tiny powerhouse food filled with fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins, and antioxidants. You can also use ground flax-seeds as a substitute for eggs.
- Prunes: Prunes contain a lot of fiber, so they are good for constipation relief. Prunes also contain a lot of antioxidants.
- Apples: There is a reason why “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” is a phrase. Apples are heart healthy, good for maintaining healthy skin and bones. They can also help with weight loss. Substitute a bag of chips for some apple slices.
- Cauliflower: Cauliflower contains a high level of anti-inflammatory compounds as well as plenty of other antioxidants and vitamins. If you aren’t a fan of cauliflower, try it in rice form.
- Olives: This wonderful Mediterranean superfood is a great source of heart healthy monounsaturated fat. Olives also contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory effects. If you are using olive oil, make sure to purchase high quality brands.
- Lentils: These are great source of meat-free protein and folate. Lentils are also full of fiber.
So, as you can see these superfoods get that designation because they pack a lot of nutritional punch and usually are full of vitamins and antioxidants. Try to add some of these superfoods to your meals or enjoy as a snack.
Which of these superfoods are your favorite? What would you add to this list?